Thoughts on Servant Leadership from an NFL Head Coach
Recently, I was preparing for a talk on servant leadership, and I was looking for some videos that would help drive home the points I was highlighting. Upon searching for short but substantive clips, I came across this video of Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh speaking on servant leadership. This was the first time I’ve ever heard Harbaugh talk on the subject, but I have to say that he speaks with clarity about the role of a leader. Regardless of whether or not you are a Ravens or Harbaugh fan, there are some great reminders in this clip.
Here are a few of the key takeaways:
- Leadership is about doing whatever you can to help others be their best.
- As a leader, you need to find out who you need to be helping.
- Four powerful words a leader should ask: “What do you think?”
- You have to empower the people around you and believe in them.
- Check your own heart. Ask yourself, “Where’s my heart on this?”
- If you really want someone to feel that you care about them, the best way to do that is to actually care about them.
Although this video is presented in the context of a football team, the principles can be applied to any organization. You can watch the clip below: