Reading is something that takes time, discipline, and concentration. Yet, for some reason, many people spend vast amounts of time reading a bunch of junk…tabloids, celebrity gossip, negative articles, etc. If you’re going to commit a portion of your day to reading, then take the time read something useful. That’s going to vary from person to person, but here is a list of the areas that I try to focus on in my reading:
- Bible / daily devotional
- Leadership books, articles, and websites
- History books on America…currently reading The American Patriot’s Almanac by Bill Bennett…highly recommend!
- Higher education articles & blogs…my profession
- News & opinion articles that develop critical thinking skills
- Organizational and business books like Good to Great
- Personal development books…currently reading Go Put Your Strengths To Work by Marcus Buckingham
Everyone is going to be different in what they like to read, but whatever you do, focus on something that is positive improves some area of your life. You have control over what you read in your spare time…don’t waste it!
Be excellent in what you read.